Sunday, May 13, 2007

Going Off the Air

Short post to let everyone know that I'm going to be shutting off my cable pretty soon, so I won't have any Internet service at home anymore. Actually, that's probably good news for readers of this blog, because it means I'm probably going to be going out to wifi cafes more often. Which means I'll be more likely to blog. When I got the cable installed a year and a half ago, I thought it would increase my ability to blog. Instead, I just find I get home tired, unwilling to blog, and not really inclined to venture out again.

Ban them...Ban them all...
This is kind of old news, in that it happened over a week ago, but here's yet another instance of book banning in a school. In one of the author's blog entries on the subject, she includes this:

One thing I didn’t mention in the last post about the “Citizen’s Request for Removal of Instructional Materials” form that got the book pulled is that there was a checkbox near the bottom with three options. They are:
Do not assign it to my child
Withdraw it from all students as well as my child
Send it back to the proper department for reevaluation

Did you guys see that one in the middle? That’s the one that was checked.
I think this says a lot about the mentality of a person seeking to get a book banned. It says that the parent in question wasn't comfortable with other people exposing her child to moralities different than her own, but that she was perfectly comfortable imposing her own moral sense on the rest of the school. People who try to ban a book isn't just trying to protect their own children from ideas they disagree with. They're trying to wipe out the ability for anyone to choose to think that way, at all.

No comments: