Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Korpervelt

Had a good writing night, last night. I've been working on a story that takes the form of a scientific/medical paper, and have been wrestling with how to bring elements of dialogue and characters other than the person writing the paper into the story, and last night solved it by adding footnotes to it. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me sooner. Footnotes can be kind of gimmicky--and it's a done gimmick, too--but in this case, it really frees the body of the text from the choppiness of switching back and forth between the scientific voice and the narrative voice, and it also opens up room for a lot of explanation and parenthetical commentary that was tanking the story. So I went to bed feeling happy and productive last night.

This morning, I was very excited to see this article in the Sun Times:

A controversial new exhibit of human body parts, which has fascinated millions in Europe and Asia but appalled and infuriated others, is coming to the Museum of Science and Industry..."Body Worlds'' features some 200 body parts, including 25 whole figures, that have been preserved through a process called "plastination." Created by a German scientist and artist, the procedure replaces body fluids with resins and polymers.

The article goes on to describe a little of the controversy surrounding the exhibit, which, frankly, surprised me to read about. I got to see "Body Worlds" when I was in Berlin a few years ago. I found it weird and wonderful and right up my alley. At the end of the booklet that accompanied the exhibit were quotes from some of the dozens of people who donate themselves to the doctor/artist who makes the sculptures. Some said it was in the interest of science, but many--and this is what interests me--were doing it for religious reasons.

Anyway, the last time I saw the exhibit, it sparked a great flood of creativity in me, which included the story I was working on last night, so this is clearly an omen. Rest assured, I will be at the museum. Possibly many times.

Feb. 4-March 20
$21 for adults,
$11 for kids 3-11 and
$17 for seniors.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the same article in the Sun Times while I was sitting in a Starbucks (forgive me) during my break at work. I promptly and excitedly called Bonnie to tell her that it was coming to Cicago, and a man gave me a dirty look. I'm not sure if he was upset that I was talking on my cell phone (I was really quiet) or if he heard me say, "You know that exhibit Matt told us about with the human body parts? It's coming to the Musuem of Science and Industry; I'm so excited!"

I will definitely be seeing it as well. Bonnie isn't sure she can handle it, so I may ask you to accompany me when I go.
-Darcy

Anonymous said...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/jonarama/2004/12/15/

thats the entry in my brother's journal. feel free to comment, I am sure he can use the support/advice. Just let him know its Matt of the cleansing robots fame.

b