Saturday, September 04, 2004

Even the Religious Right Agrees: Strippers are Cool

My father once wondered to himself (and presumably to the rest of us, too, because we were in the room) why on Earth anyone would ever join the dark side of the force, since its followers seemed to consist solely of withered and bitter old men. I agreed at the time, but based on the footage I've seen of the RNC, I suppose I have to concede that power and money are their own lures, even into the midst of a pack of withered and bitter old men (I actually have to concede that there's a surprising number of women in this picture...any women being a surprising number).

The other night, my roommate turned the channel to Bush making a speech at the Republican National Convention. I watched for just a moment, just long enough to get the taste of bile in my mouth, before I asked him to change the channel. But I saw enough to catch Bush (seen here making his signature sieg heil) say, "Given the choice between trusting a madman and defending this country, I will defend this country every time." For those who didn't catch it, what he's actually saying is, "Given the choice between upholding the UN and trampling all over international law to serve my own ends, I will violate international law every time." And people eat it up like it's chocolate sauce.

Well. I didn't intend to rant about Bush and his evil little flying monkeys (by the way, for anyone who hasn't seen it: Bush or Chimp). I actually just wanted to draw your attention to this Web site, put up by the Village Voice. It's the blog of a waitress at a strip club near Madison Square Garden. Very interesting stuff.

God, I hate them so much. Fucking hypocrites.

No comments: