Friday, February 25, 2005

Opening Night

It's the day of opening night, and I'm experiencing this sort of reversed Christmas-Eve effect, wherein I've spent the entire day waiting for the night to come and won't care about work or anything else until it does. I'm trying to edit a financial aid guidebook for the university and just can't find my stride. I mean, for fuck's sake, who cares about financial aid? The world is ending tonight!

I don't remember it being this way in college, but it probably was. It will probably be like this for as long as I have a day job to bother about.

My mother sent me a lovely dozen roses, which is sitting on my desk and brightening my day with its lovely colors and smells. And Neil Gaiman was kind enough to post an announcement for us on his journal. Which I thought was decidedly cool. Thanks to both of you.

Update of the Roses
This is a later post: I've discovered another good use for the dozen roses. Aside from brightening my day, I can use them to get the designers not to whine when I make massive corrections to documents. For example, I just finished editing the hell out of a graduate guide to financial aid. Ordinarily, this would make the designer hate on me, or at the very least, whine for a while. But attach a rose to it, and she cooed joyfully while I snuck away, content that she thinks I'm the sweetest editor this side of the Loop. It's great; the roses are the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I want to let you know that Tantalus surpassed both of our expectations with this production. You guys really did a great job; it was a wonderful night. And my god, what a great space!

-Darcy

Anonymous said...

Hullo there Matt. I just found the theatre website, and since I couldn't find a single email link, I came here to ask you if the name of your troupe was inspired by the Theatre troupe Tantalus from Final Fantasy IX. It seems as though you guys deal with the same types of performances and everything. ^_^
Anyway, the pictures and things amuse me, and I would very much like to see one of your plays sometime. Perhaps email me at smichiba@yahoo.com? Thanks!

-Banana

Matthew Rossi said...

I hope you manage to come see one of our plays, too. Actually, we take our name from the Greek Myth of Tantalus, who was condemned in his afterlife to be immersed in cool water with delicious ripe fruits dangling above his head. More on why we use this as our name can be found here: http://www.tantalustheatre.org/story.php.