Monday, August 08, 2005

In other news...

Don't ever rent from ICM Properties. I'm currently renting from them and really they're terrible landlords. I started renting from them a year ago, because they offered me a place that was in Lincoln Square, near some friends of mine. I answered an ad for a garage apartment and after a brief interview, they told me that the garage apartment was really pretty dingy, but we should drive around a bit and I could maybe find something else. What they showed me was the apartment on 4903 North Seeley Ave, where I currently live. It was spacious and light and they were willing to give it to me for a discounted rate. The only real problems with the place were a giant hole in the closet floor, missing tiles in the bathroom, a few broken window screens, the fact that it wasn't clean, and the fact that the back porch door had a broken window. All of which I was assured would be fixed when I moved in.

Long story short, none of these things were fixed when I moved in. I moved into a filthy apartment. Postitively filthy. And I'm not one to complain about things like dirt. But this place was disgusting. The electricity was off. The gas was off. The hole in the closet floor was still there, as were the missing tiles and broken window screens. There were several other holes in other floors that I had missed when I first looked at the place. I called them up the day after I moved in and told them I needed to put in an order for repairs. Collected a list of the repairs to the place that were supposed to have been done, and faxed that to them. Some they did. Most, they did not. I guarantee they will glut my security deposit to make those repairs when I move out.

Somewhere in there, a fire broke out in my building. I was making pie, and smelled the smoke, but didn't think anything of it until my neighbor banged on my door to tell me, at which time I noticed that the hallway was full of smoke. Afterward, I wondered why I hadn't heard a smoke alarm go off. The simple answer was that ICM Properties had failed to install a smoke detector in my apartment. I quickly called their maintenance line to alert them to this fact and that they should not only install a smoke alarm, but bring the closet that held my furnace up to code (Chicago fire code requires a metal grate on the furnace door to allow oxygen intake for the fire...I told ICM this the first week I moved in...the fire was about two months later). A month passed. No smoke detector. I told them again. This time the smoke detector came, but the grate still wasn't installed. I forget exactly how long it took me to get them to finally do that. When they did, I came home to an apartment full of sawdust. They didn't bother to clean up after themselves.

Anyway, after almost a year of having put in repair requests, most frequently for the gaping hole in my closet floor, I received a call that my apartment was being shown, because my lease is up soon. I told them I'd like to renew, but would like to discuss the problems with maintenance I've had. The woman I got on the phone took my maintenance request and then informed me that they would not make my lease contingent on the maintenance request being met. I told her that I wouldn't sign the lease until these things had been met to my satisfaction, that they had consistently failed to keep up their end of my lease in that they haven't maintained the building at all since my arrival, and that I wasn't terribly happy with them as landlords in general. Her response, ICM's general idea of keeping their tenants happy, was to tell me that if I wasn't happy, maybe they just won't renew my lease.

I'm not the only one unhappy with them. In a blog entry entitled "Home is Where the Roaches Are", a Metrobloggin' blogger writes:

When I first rented my completely rehabbed apartment three years ago, a small two-guy company owned the building. They were fantastic. Not only was my apartment the only rehabbed unit in the place, they kept the building in fabulous shape. They had someone on staff whose responsibility it was to make the entryways free of spider webs and dirt and they cleaned the carpets and they put up a list every couple of weeks in the laundry rooms that let the tenants sign up for FREE bug removal. Yeah. You could sign up on a Tuesday and your place would be sprayed for bugs the following week. Imagine that.

In short, our rental company sold the building to ICM Properties. Within the space of six months, we couldn't leave our rent checks in the little box down in the laundry room, the washer and dryer beneath my portion of the building were removed, the washers and dryers in the other part of the building were removed with no possible notice or promise of new units, light bulbs in the hallways started going out and not getting replaced and, in general, the building started sucking.

On another blog entry for Metrobloggin', someone named Chicago Monkey writes:

avoid ICM altogether
while the apartment was greatabout 1600 square footin Lincoln Park (shut it)for $1000
the people I had to deal with was not worth it
I actually yelled at the guy when I picked up the keys because he called me a liar.
also had no fridge for first 10 days I lived there
avoid avoid avoid


In opinions given of ICM Properties spaces, we also see this opinion, as well as this one:

ICM Properties Inc. recently purchased this property and their business practices can only be characterized by such phrases as: disrespectful, unethical and felonious.

I can't speak for them being felonious (although I'm reasonably certain neglecting to install a smoke detector before a tenant moves in and after a tenant calls to complain qualifies), but I can say that they have broken the Chicago laws that state a landlord must alert a tenant 24 hours before coming into their home. I have on at least one occasion been awoken by one of their maintenance men. In the incident in question, nobody called me to say they would be showing up, and I was still in bed when their electrician came into my house without knocking first.

Thus ends my gripe. Don't rent from ICM Properties. They claim they are a family-run, family-based business. They aren't. What they are is a large corporation interested in only making as much money as possible from their tenants. Those who complain are quickly singled out as difficult and management becomes impossible to deal with. We'll see where all of this leads. Frankly, I don't want to stay with them. Though I love my apartment, the folks who own it are shit to deal with. And that makes staying there more difficult than you could imagine.

12 comments:

wafelenbak said...

I just now got to read this entry and it is SO GOOD to see the public outcry against ICM!!!
They just screwed me over ROYALLY. After a year of problems from getting a functioning stove to no hot water for a week, I was not given the option to renew my lease. This worked out for the best, ultimately, BUT prior to my move out date, the onsite building manager THREW MY REMAINING BELONGINGS AWAY. A value of which exceeds $600.
The only reason I haven't mentioned them specifically in my blog is because I may take them to court if they don't hurry along with the compensation for that lost property. I was able to get some really good legal advice at a reasonable rate from the Chicago Lawyer's Commitee for Better Housing. But oh once this blows over, they will be trashed all the way to Tuesday in my blog.

Anonymous said...

I've been living in an ICM property for a few years and have had nothing but a great experience with these guys. While I have had a few maintenance issues during that time they have always responded promptly to my requests. When my fridge broke I had a new one in 3 days. The one time my hot water went out they had someone by to fix it that same day. I have recommended a few friends to ICM as well and they have all been very happy with their apartments.

Anonymous said...

I too rent from ICM Properties. I have to admit, it was a great price for a 1 bedroom lincoln park apartment, but it's not worth it. The first week I moved in, one of the maintance guys took my air conditioner (my personal one, not the one the provide you) and didn't return it for a month (In July, that's a bi$%h). When he did return it (after 5 messages) he just left it on the back porch with no note, not phone call...nothing. Besides the hallways and entryways being discusting my other major complaint is the MASSIVE HOLE IN MY CEILING!!! Yes, there is a massive hole in my ceiling that I have consistantly left messages about and it has yet to be repaired. Everytime it snows or rains, my apt gets wet. I did get a hold of one maintance guy after a major snow storm; his reply was, "I can shovel the snow off the roof." The hole has now turned into a mold issue...it's gross, and I'm for sure not going to put up with this sort of management for another year. This was my 4th rental experience in Chicago, all previous rental agencies have been more than accomidating. I highly recommend Realty and Mortgage Co....they take very good care of thier tennents, and each building has an onsite manager who always answers his phone (no I do not work for them...just have had a really good experience with them and so have my friends.) I have a few friends who are moving here soon, and I've already warned them.

Anonymous said...

ICM. Crooked, rude, unethical... To say the least. I have counted no less that 5 property issues that are not to code by legal standards.

The rude staff behaves as if they were a fraternity that collectively failed out of college and took jobs at ICM.

Some repairs were done in time - not such a feat when my leaking toilet was replaced with another dirty, leaky toilet from the basement. No lighting, leaking stove, cracked tiles, two water holes in ceiling, back staircase from a Tim Burton movie...

ICM is the black plague of property owners. ICM renters - try searching "ITU" for help.

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend ICM Properties...they always respond to my maintenance issues...staff has been very friendly and helpful!!

Anonymous said...

i rent an apt in wrigleyville through icm and even though i love my neighbors, i hate ICM. The girls that live in the garden apt have been broken into five seperate occasions and most recently one of the girls was basically held hostage while a man with a crobar forced her to give her all her money. The girls have complained repeatedly but of course, ICM does not seem to find this alarming. My apt was kicked in a few weeks ago, when i called them to fix my door(which was hanging off the hinges) they told me that their engineer had gone home for the day. It was some time in the early/mid afternoon. ICM ignores our requests to make our building more secure-- as a result, we have found random people walking around our halls and going through our mail. In an earlier comment, someone stated that they did not have a fire alarm in their apartment. Almost every unit (4/6) in this building also does not have a fire alarm.
Everyone living in this apartment are good people that pay their rent on time, have good jobs, and lead respectable lives. The least this co. could do is show some respect with the minor requests we ask from them. The last thing anyone wants to see when they leave their building are random ppl. in the entry way which is a result of having a front door that does not have a knob on it most of the time.

Anonymous said...

ICM Properties are slumlords. We love our apartment and our neighbors and our neighborhood, but after being tenants for 4 years we are all of the sudden non renewable on our lease. The rat problem, people breaking in the basement, the hole in the celing, cracked tiles, window wood rot, badly sealed toilet are just to name a few issues. Most of which we have fixed ourselves. ICM IS NOT A FAMILY RUN COMPANY. That is a LIE! They are rude when you call and they curse at you on the phone. They don't give a crap about long term renters or anyone who has children. ICM is a blight on Chicago Renters. Stay away from them.

Anonymous said...

ICM is most unethical, irresponsible, biggoted management company I have ever dealt with. The place was filthy and broken down when I moved in and, like others, faxed a list and never got the things dealt with. They enter apartments without any prior notice when I'm not here. As others have said, I can't believe they call themselves a 'family owned business'. The image they give is more like slum lords.

Anonymous said...

I cannot agree more with the way ICM treats their tenants. I had mice in my apartement for one month. I called once and figured the issue would be solved in a week or so. When no one came, as they said they would a week prior, I called back.
"uh, is this about the rats?" asked a brusque and inconsiderate voice on the other line (which seems to be common protocal for the office when dealing with tenants).
"No." I said, when he proceeded to tell me that there is a rat problem in the building adjacent to mine however he hasn't heard of any mice.
To make a long story short the mice were in the walls, I had heard them scratching all night and found at least three dead a week in my apartment.
I called once a week with the same oblivious landlords on the other end claiming they had never heard of my issues. I finally called the city and they were at my place the next morning and found two more dead in hard to reach places. The maintainance man whom I had dealt with on a number of occasions trying to get my problem solved implied that the only reason I had mice was because I was dirty, even though the apartment was obviously spotless. An absolutely horrible experience. The staff at the office are pushy, rude, completely inconsiderate. The boy who leased my apartment wouldn't stop mentioning his lake housES his BMW that he's only used once and other elements of his disposable income as I was making my bold move renting a 515 dollar studio. Maybe he was trying to get a date or impress me but all it made me consider is what a self-absorbed meat-head I was dealing with. This is the norm at ICM.
DO NOT RENT FROM THEM IF YOU CAN AVOID IT.

Anonymous said...

I rent from ICM in Lincoln Square (the courtyards on Damen) and their apartments are filthy. They seem pissed when you call them for any maintenance requests. My window have been eternally filthy on the outside and they refuse to clean them. In the summer I get waterbugs and they refuse to return my calls about that and/or spray outside. Overall, I agree that they're slumlords!

Anonymous said...

I too love reading entries about ICM. I just moved out of one of their buildings after living there 5.5 years. Yes, it was my choice to live there as long as I did and perhaps because of that I don't have the right to complain. But I'm going to anyway.

This company does the bare minimum, if that, to keep the apartments habitable. The windows were not washed a single time while I lived there. The carpets in the hallway were not shampooed once. There were frequent outbreaks of roaches. When I called to complain, I got "aren't they waterbugs?" Two things wrong with this response. One, waterbugs ARE roaches. Just another name for them. Two, it's an insect infestation regardless of what type it is. As if I'd somehow be ok with it because the girl on the line suggested it was "waterbugs."

The first 3 years I lived there, there weren't any rodent problems. Then, the building next to mine started getting rats. I'd see them running back and forth from the parkway to the dumpster room over there. It didn't take long for them to spread next door to my building. I then had to deal with rats running in front of my feet everytime I went out at night and sometimes during the day too. ICM's response to the rat burrows that developed in the courtyard was to put pieces of trash like pop cans in them. It took the rats about a day to either move the stuff or dig new holes to get out.

The maintenance guy assigned to my building was basically incompetent. It would take a minimum of 2-3 calls before he'd drag himself over to do anything. The most recent time, I left a short list of repairs I needed and he did all but one which was fix the toilet seat hinge. Even though I had already purchased hinges with my own money and left them sitting right next to the toilet! WTF! Why didn't he just fix the stupid thing?

One time, my shower was so clogged I couldn't use it because water wouldn't drain out. When he came to fix it with one of those auger things, black gunk sprayed all over the walls, ceiling, floors, and tub. Did he clean any of it up before he left? Nope.

I moved into a filthy apartment as well. In the bathroom there was a rotting black hole in the wall behind the door that I hadn't seen when I viewed the place because when the door was open, it would hide the hole. My parents and I spent an entire weekend cleaning and making repairs just so the place was habitable.

So, I finally have moved into a REAl building where, get this, windows are washed THREE TIMES YEARLY! One floor per week is sprayed for bugs! The laundry room gets cleaned every day! Can you imagine that?

I'm going to ignore ICM's requests for information about whether I am renewing or not. Nor will I answer any phone calls from them. When I moved out I left a bunch of crap behind that I don't want anymore. Let them deal with it. No security deposit anyway.

Ahhh, I feel better.

Anonymous said...

I'm SO sad to read all the negative comments posted about ICM, since I just moved in last week! I wish I would have spent more time researching the organization and could have made a more appropriate decision on moving. I thought my last place was run down, guess not! I have called numerous times to "share" my maint requests and like many others posting comments, they seem to not get done and when they do....Mr. Maint makes a freaking mess that I have to clean up! I'm not really looking forward to a FULL year at this place but will have to deal with it. Thank you all for your stories and wish me luck with the remaining 352 days of my lease!