Monday, December 19, 2005

Our Christmas Present from the IRS

It's cold out. Very extremely cold out. The thing I love about standing outside in cold like this is how utterly silent everything is. I would think that in the cold, with all of the molecules of air tightening together, sound would travel excellently. It would be crisp and travel to our ears as through a steel tuning fork. But it doesn't. The air is crisp, but soundless on days like this. I like that.

Holiday celebrations are already well under way. The past two weekends have been full of holiday parties with eggnog and mulled wine and the ocassional snowball fight. I leave in three days for home, which I'm looking forward to. My gifts are all made (liqueurs for all, this year), some are given, etc.

The big news right now involves Tantalus. We received a notice from the IRS on Saturday and are officially a not-for-profit organization. This is excellent news, because now it means that on top of benefits to us, any donations made to us are tax-deductible. It's a good thing for Tantalus.

I'm taking an extended hiatus from the company after The Strange Dreams of Nobody in Particular goes up. Just a little time to work on projects of my own and reevaluate my life. After that, we'll see where we are. Recent developments and past issues have sort of come together over the past couple of weeks, and I've realized that I put far more work into Tantalus than I get out of it in terms of artistic fulfillment. That's a problem. Tantalus is very much a company of directors and idea men. As a writer, Tantalus doesn't really offer me much. As an actor, it's become clear that I'm not going to get the opportunity to grow and expand my skills. So it may be time to move on. It's not something I'd do lightly, but it may be time.

Grad school has finally begun to call me, too. It may just be a time for change, in general. New years aren't always that way, but they can be.

No comments: