Monday, September 11, 2006

1380<1450

I woke up this morning with something of a panicky sweat on my brow. The GRE is eleven days away, and I woke up feeling less prepared to take it than I ever have before. So I took a sick day to take a practice exam and study. I did better on the practice exam than I thought. 760 verbal and 620 math. Which means, not surprisingly, that I'm better with the English language than I am with the numeric language. I can up that math score some, but I mainly want to spend the next eleven days writing essays. Thanks to Sam, who was nice enough to send me essay topics. I'll post my answers here soon. I promise.

The essay section actually remindes me of a poetry professor I had in college. His name was Garland and he was a fantastic guy, but he let me get away with things I really shouldn't have gotten away with. Such as my answer to essay question that asked us to compare and contrast three poets we had read. I had compared and contrasted them according to their sexes and whether the first letters of their names were vowels or consonants. I remember thinking I was pretty clever at the time. How wrong I was.

Garland, if you're reading this, rest assured it's come back to bite me in the ass. I'm off to go write essays arguing whether--well who knows what topic they'll want me to argue.

No comments: