Wednesday, August 04, 2004

An Introduction to Myself

You know, I've had this blog for probably a year or so and haven't added anything to it, simply because I keep thinking that I should start out by introducing myself to everyone, and then I freeze. If there's one thing I'm lousy at, it's talking about myself. But, you have to do it eventually.

So. About me: By day, I'm an editor. I work for the University of Illinois at Chicago's Office of Publications. By night, and by life, I'm a writer of surrealist short stories and poetry, as well as the occasional odd play. My work is largely unpublished; in fact, with the exception of but a single poem, "Face Mongers," published on the Mudlark online journal of poetry, my work is entirely unpublished. Which means I keep a day job for now.

Recently a few friends of mine and I started a theatre company in Chicago, called the Tantalus Theatre Group. We're an experimental theatre company, specializing in new works and new interpretations of old works. Our mission is to use exploration and play to create a theatrical experience that is moving, profound, and magical, both for the audience and for ourselves. Although we've already produced several shows over the years, our first show as an official company has just opened. It's entitled "The Sinister Puppet Men of the Fabrication Gallery," and it will be seen in parks all around Chicago for the remainder of August. Check out our Web site, http://www.tantalustheatre.org/, for information about where to see it.

And that's me, nutshell style.
-Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you sound lovely. maybe I've seen you around greektown. hmmmm.