Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The Clock Keeps Ticking

a quick addition before I forget
Perhaps you have heard about the mysterious bulge seen on Bush's back during the first debate. If you haven't, here's a Salon.com article, and a follow-up (you'll need a Salon.com day-pass to view the articles; they're free, though, and all you have to do for them is view an ad). The Republicans have outright stated that Bush isn't wearing anything under his jacket in that photo, which is just obvious bullshit. But hey, let's give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Bush isn't wired. So I want everyone to leave me their best speculations about what the lump could be, other than a radio receiver (so far, my favorite is my neighbor, Jim's, comment that it's either a wire, or Bush's enormous, rectangular T1 vertebra). Begin speculations...now!

debates and moving...
I keep feeling like I ought to comment on the election and politics and be clever about them. But the truth is, I have very little to say about the election or the debates, at this point, that hasn't already been said better by the Daily Show, or by NOFX. My boss sent that to me and to my entire department by e-mail, today, which meant that all day long I got to listen to "the idiot son of an asshole..." blasting through tiny computer speakers. And it made me chuckle every time. Don't hate Americans...just hate our government.

Mostly, at this point, I'm just waiting for the clock to run out. I'm waiting to see if these four years have made my countrymen any smarter, or if we're all still morons. Tick, tick, tick...

Last night, I was riding home from the Tantalus workshop when, at a stop light near the Jewel next to my house, I saw my friend Dan--who has been in NYC for the last three years--walking across the street. So I said a quick goodbye to my friends and bounded out of the car at him, flailing my arms. Luckily, he doesn't carry mace and I was able to give him a big hug. He had just arrived in town and was on his way to see another friend of mine from high school, who had also just arrived in town. So instead of being good and going to sleep early like I planned, I went out and had a drink with a pair of my oldest and dearest friends, along with a few new people. And I walked home feeling like this was just another part of a string of cosmic events, and where was it leading me? And why?

Tonight was my night off, and I spent it packing up my things. It's strange to leave this apartment, but I'm off to bigger and better things. A place of my own to sit and write in. A magnificent kitchen. A bedroom that doesn't face the 7-11...

Right. It's my bedtime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The lump is a small alien life form cunningly disguised as a giant T-1 vertebrae. It, like most aliens, is part of a interstellar conspiracy to overthrow the US government.
Just ask Mulder!