Thursday, June 23, 2005

How Yesterday Was Made for Me

Last night I arrived at rehearsal about an hour and a half early, and because I lacked any reading material (a copy of Kafka On the Shore waits for me at home, for the day when I have copious free time to start reading it), I decided to head over to Hilary's Urban Eatery for a bite to eat. I walked in, passing a woman on her way out, and sat down at the counter to check out the menu. As I read over the light fare, and ogled the dessert menu, the phone rang, and the hostess picked it up and had a brief conversation.

When she hung up, she looked at me and said, "Do you remember the woman who was leaving when you came in?" I said yes. "That was her. Her name is Eunice, and she's a regular here. She said she thought you were cute and that she wants to buy your dinner."

"What?"

"She said you made her day, so she wants to buy you dinner."

Once in a very rare while, it pays to be a boy.

I had the salmon cakes, and tipped the staff the price of my meal. And spent the rest of the day feeling gorgeous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a GREAT story, Matt.

Something you see in movies.

Thanks for posting about that, before it got away.

Cheers,
COB

hud_callahan said...

I have never gotten fed off my good looks. Damn your good!

Hey, there's a typo in your story. When you said salmon cakes, I think you meant to say poontang.