Friday, March 11, 2005

A Few Things Neither Here Nor There

Show Stuff
The show is still up and running. Anyone who hasn't seen it and likes the thought of people dressed as neo-Vikings enacting the end of the world really should come out and see us perform. We might even get you drunk afterward.

Apparently the rash of bad/mediocre reviews to good and innovative shows continues on with the reviews for Don't Spit the Water. I have not seen Don't Spit the Water, but a good friend has told me about it and it sounds like great fun. There's more on this over at Hud's blog. He makes the point that reviewers should take into account audience reaction to a show, and I really have to agree. Ragnarok might not be for everyone, but those who have seen it have raved about it to us. So the Reader reviews it poorly, based on some judgement, and the people who are inclined to give a shit about reviews don't come. Which is a shame.

Wine Stuff
My wine is up and making, which is neat to see. I mean, it's not television or anything, but when I consider the fact that I'm basically using the same creature that attacks my feet every summer to make yummy alcohol, I get a little giddy. And I've considered that what I'm doing is a sort of biomechanics, using a living thing to act as a machine for the production of a...um...product (score one for articulation). Which means, if I am to believe the sci-fi movies, that I'm bound to go mad with my new-found power and my yeast is bound to turn against me and plot my demise. I keep one eye open as it bubbles ominously away.

Whine Stuff
I usually like editing. Sometimes, I even love it. This morning was not one of those times. I came in today, tired from a night of karaoke (in which I kicked ass, by the way) but generally in a good mood and was promptly greeted by a sarcastic letter from an asshole doctor essentially saying we're incompetent. He called our designer incompetent. He called me incompetent (in so many words). He called our whole department incompetent, and did so in the most snide tone I have ever seen in writing at this school. We're not incompetent. We're fucking geniuses, in fact, especially the designer who he criticized (and who hauled ass so this shit could bitch about us taking too long to do things).

This sort of thing happens all the time, and it happens from doctors most of all. Because doctors seem to think that because they have advanced degrees in medicine, they somehow know about English. In sort of the same way that my knowledge of English qualifies me to perform liver surgery...right? Right?

Pissed me off thoroughly. Think I'm going to go take my rage out on some Loki meat.

End bitch session.

1 comment:

Matthew Rossi said...

Coolness. I'll see you there. I'm the guy dressed as a Viking.