Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Here, at the End of All Things

We're hurling toward the end of Ragnarok about as fast as we hurled toward the beginning, and I can't wait. Not because I want this to be over; in fact, there's already a sort of "But I'll miss you most of all, scarecrow" effect brewing in my mind, of a sort that I don't usually get when a play ends. I just have this feeling it's going to be glorious, huge, epic. With three more shows anything can happen. Energy will be high and vigorous. I half expect a snow storm, followed by a giant wolf eating the guy who plays Odin. It will be great (not that I want Cory to die, but if he has to, being eaten by a giant wolf is the way to go; I think he'd agree).

Anyway, I can't think of a group of people I'd rather do this show with than this cast, and I'm going to miss them when it's over. I'm rereading American Gods in preparation for beginning work on the elusive fucking novel again, and I hit a line about the gods waiting for the Vikings when they arrived in America--"Tyr, one-handed, and gray Odin gallows-god, and Thor of the thunders"--and for a moment, I knew I was going to miss the gods very much. And the people playing them, more so. I can't think of a group of people I'd rather end the world with every weekend, and even though I'm going to see each of them again, I'll miss having us all together as a group.

So we'll go out with a BANG! POP! BOOM! POWIE! and then we'll party like there's nothing left to fear. And then I'll rest for a while. And then. And then...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what, some shows you just "do", but other shows-- you "live." I think Ragnarok has been that. Everybody has poured so much energy and love into this production that we have all taken more than just another production under our belts. I have learned a lot. About what, it may be too soon to say, but i have a feeling its more of a spiritual thing that I've learned that can't be put into words. Perhaps the lesson has come from the glory of a cast that lacks a 'weak link'. O, readers of Matthew Rossi's blog, I tell you right now that for the past 3 months, I have gotten into the regular habit of putting on a dress and a wig and groping Matt and pleading with him to make love to me like he used to. This is, to borrow the expression, a life less ordinary.

Matthew Rossi said...

Thanks, Ed. There's no man I'd rather pose as my wife and simulate horse sex with me than you.