Thursday, March 17, 2005

Tooralooraloo

I’m caring for the little tigers again, while Bonnie and Darcy are off flouncing around Europe for a few weeks (I assume they’re flouncing…they are gay), only now the tigers aren’t quite so little. And they’re still very cute. Last night, one of them grabbed hold of my arm and began gnawing lightly on it, so I rubbed and scratched his belly and generally played along until I realized, with some horror, that he wasn’t just playing. He was really going for the hand. Which was followed by the awful realization that I had no way of getting him off of it without his claws tearing long lines into my arm. For a few minutes, I really had no other recourse than to wait until he grew bored or severed my left hand. Luckily, I’m nominally smarter than a cat and was able to reach for a bag of treats, the sound of which made him quickly disengage my arm and attack the bag, whereupon I slipped out of the room unnoticed.

The best part is that he was purring the entire time. “I love you….chomp!…I love you…” he seemed to say.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day. For those of you who don’t know, St. Patrick’s Day celebrates the day when St. Patrick drove all of the snakes out of Ireland. March 17, 423 A.D. (You know…because they had standardized calendars back then.) I’m generally on the side of snakes (because they’re clever, efficient, and practice good hygiene) so I’m not long on celebrating their demise; however, I’m also on the side of whiskey and of buxom redheads with creamy white skin, so I’m all for celebrating St. Patrick’s day. If I didn’t have a show tonight, I would spend much of this afternoon with a glass of Irish whiskey in front of me and a pint of Guinness behind me. I may play catch up after the show tonight.

In honor of our Irish heritage, and I do believe everyone’s got a little Irishman in them (if you don’t, would you like one?), I give you this. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Ireland, check out The Onion's Timeline of Irish History.

Jamsky

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid the cat was smarter than you afterall. :(

He trained you to give him treats for biting your hand. :(

~Kim

Matthew Rossi said...

Possibly so, but in that case, I think we both have proven ourselves. The cat has proven himself a shrewd negotiator, and I have proven that I'm smart enough to know when I need to compromise. Both of which are signs of wisdom and intelligence.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

We got your messages a few days back and didn't really have time or means to get back to you immediately (although
I would have found a way if you didn't end up working it out for yourself) but we are glad everything worked out and thank you so much for being so resourceful. I can't believe it didn't occur to me to leave you contact info for our building manager. but just so you will have it now, its on our bulliten board, his name is chris gorcik and his number is up there, and his is the first floor apartment on the right. if anything happens, leave his number on our voicemail too, so that we can call him and assure him that you need to get into our house and you aren't a scary liar. thanks so much again for watching them for us! its good to know they are in safe hands.

love bonnie
bonniecottle@earthlink.net