Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Churning the Waters Like a Hurricane in the Atlantic

Today, I took a different route home than I usually do. I stopped at a grocery store to get some cheese and crackers and coffee for the first day of Strange Dreams of Nobody in Particular workshop, which meant I took the bus up to a certain street and caught the el from there. For no reason, I stopped in a shop to Christmas browse and then quickly left because it was a lame shop. A moment later in the shop and I would have missed her. A moment sooner and I would have been on the train too quickly. As it was, I stepped out of the shop right as a girl from the first play I directed walked by.

Running into old friends from Asheville in this town is worth noting at any time. There aren't many of us here...in fact, I don't know of anyone other than me here who I went to school with, though at times I wish the case were different. But running into a friend from Asheville now--even an acquaintance--is really remarkable. I've just been having a conversation with another friend from Asheville, one who also came out of the woodwork recently, about connections with people and how they come and go. And why some people reappear and why others stay vanished.

Synchronicity is strange. If I was Yoda, I would have much to meditate on. Even in my poor little non-Jedi skin, I should consider a thing or two.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"There aren't many of us here...in fact, I don't know of anyone other than me here who I went to school with..."

Ahem!

What am I, chopped liver?

Matthew Rossi said...

Ahhh! I knew there was someone I was missing.

Course, you and I went to school together for, like, a year. Really I count you among my Chicago friends more than I do my Asheville friends.

Matthew Rossi said...

Her name was Katie...er...something or other. She played the dark-haired, kind of cynical girl (as opposed to the blonde party girl, or the mom, or Terhan) in the first play I directed. Other than that, I don't know that anyone would've known her. She wasn't around much. I decided to take it as a sign that my present workshop, which started that day, will go well. As opposed to the first play I directed, which, admittedly, I cast largely based on whether I might want to date the actresses. Which I never did, so it really was a wash in every possible respect.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh.. the casting couch starts early. :p

~Kim

Anonymous said...

Ahh...the casting couch starts so early. :p